The Civil Services Examination comprises two successive stages:
- Civil Services (Preliminary) Examinations (Objective Type) for the selection of candidates for Main Examination.
- (ii) Civil Services (Main) Examination (Written and Interview) for the selection of candidates for the various service
1. Preliminary Examination
- The Preliminary Examination will consist of two papers of Objective type (multiple choice questions) and carry a maximum of 400 marks.
- This examination is meant to serve as a screening test only; the marks obtained The Preliminary Examination by the candidates who are declared qualified for admission to the Main Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
- The number of candidates to be admitted to the Main Examination will be about twelve to thirteen times the total approximate number of vacancies to be filled in the year through this
2. Main Examination
- The Main Examination will consist of written examination and an interview test.
- The written examination will consist of 9 papers of conventional essay type in the Subjects set out in sub-section out of which two papers will be of qualifying in nature.
- Marks obtained for all the compulsory paper (Paper-I to Paper-VlI) and Marks obtained in Interview for Personality Test will be counted for ranking.
- Candidates who obtain such minimum qualifying marks in the written part of the Main Examination shall be summoned by them for an interview for a Personality.
- The number of candidates to be summoned for interview will be about twice the number of vacancies to be filled.
- Marks thus obtained by the candidates in the Main Examination (written part as well as interview) would determine their final ranking.
- Candidates will be allotted to the various services keeping in view their ranks in the Examination and the preferences expressed by them for the various services.
Scheme and subjects for the Preliminary and Main Examination.
- PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION :
The Examination shall comprise of two compulsory Papers of 200 marks each.
Paper 1. General studies ( 200 Marks)
Paper 2. Civil services Aptitude test(CSAT) ( 200 Marks)
2. MAINS EXAMINATION:
The written examination will consist of the following papers:
A) Qualifying Papers:
Paper‐ I (300 Marks )
One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidate from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.
Paper‐ II (300 Marks)
B) Papers to be counted for merit:
Paper‐I ( 250 Marks)
Paper‐II General Studies–I (250 Marks)
Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society
Paper‐III General Studies –II ( 250 Marks)
Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
Paper‐IV General Studies –III 250 Marks
Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity,Environment, Security and Disaster Management
Paper‐V General Studies IV (250 Marks)
Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude
Paper‐VI Optional Subject – Paper 1 (250 Marks)
Optional selected by you.
Paper‐VII Optional Subject – Paper 2 (250 Marks)
Optional selected by you.
Sub Total (Written test) 1750 Marks
Personality Test ( 275 Marks)
Grand Total :- 2025 Marks